Sunday, December 2, 2012

Restaurant Mariette, Paris



Restaurant Mariette is one of the many restaurants on tripadvisor that comes highly recommended.
At the price of about 45 euros/person, I came with expectations adjusted accordingly.

So I had my best escargot in Paris here. I loved the novelty of the concept - an escargot encased in a  ravioli. Served in spinach creme, this was escargots at its most natural... element. 

Just kidding. 
Jokes aside, it tasted pretty good. Ravioli shells were of a consistent thickness, spinach creme was tasty. Amazing how the thin ravioli shells did not break under the weight of one whole escargot.

However, I wasn't particularly impressed with the entree which was a pan-seared mullet served atop artichokes. The fish was not served de-boned and it was a real inconvenience to eat. Nothing about the taste was spectacular enough for me to put that fact aside either. My food companion's salmon fillet entree was a better shot at giving customers their money's worth.



Restaurant Mariette's take of a mille-feuille was interesting, with three choux-like puff pastry piled on top of each other, served with ice cream on the side. 

Unfortunately, I was less than impressed to find the ice cream served half-melted, forming a puddle on my plate which I found so unsightly that I could not bring myself to photograph it with the mille-feuille.

I appreciate that the chef came out of the kitchen to make conversation with his guests; the small size of the restaurant combined with the yellow lighting also created a cosy atmosphere. However, such points are secondary. As collaterals to the food, which should have been the main star of the experience, I find that they should not have been at the expense of attention to detail in the food served.


Restaurant Mariette
24 Rue Bosquet
75007 Paris

No comments: