Sunday, March 24, 2013

Le Gramont, Paris / Poilane Bread

Visited in September 2012.

Chicken and Cheese-topped Poilane bread

Croque madame for the madame. :)

Parisians are serious about their breads and baguettes. While researching on their breads prior to my trip, I came across 'Poilane bread' one too many times that I just had to find out what it is. Pronounced pwa-lahn, it is the produce of a Lionel Poilane and is world-famous to say the least, being exported to the shores of Singapore and the USA (and costing a bomb, of course). 

The Poilane certainly lived up to its reputation. The sourdough I had was of a unique texture, well-aerated yet with the slightest hint of elasticity, and a touch of saltiness. Upon more research it turns out that sea salt is listed as one of the ingredients in the Poilane sourdough, along with other good quality ingredients. Best of all, the Poilane is produced in a wood-fired oven, thus explaining the rather solid (but crisp) crust with an earthy aftertaste.

I had my Poilane at the Le Gramont restaurant, which I found to serve excellent breakfasts alongside the mains that have been much-raved about. The topping on my Poilane was chicken, made deliciously creamy by the melted cheese on top of it. 

The croque madame is a French classic - a must try on any tourist's bucketlist definitely. A ham and cheese sandwich, grilled with more cheese on top and served with a sunny-side up. A breakfast I wouldn't mind having again and again!

Writing about this at midnight now is making me very hungry...


 Le Gramont
15 Boulevard Des Italiens,
75002 Paris, France
Tel: 01 42 97 58 50

No comments: